What You’ll Need:
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic (we use the pre-minced kind in a jar)
- 1 onion, chopped (we use a small one)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked ground turkey (broken up) or cooked Italian chicken sausage (diced)
- 2 t basil
- 1 t oregano
- 1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth (available in the soup aisle at the market)
- 1 large can (28 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (or both!) as garnish
- Ask your parents to help turn on the stove and supervise your cooking.
- Heat a large pot over a medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, onion, and pepper … stir a little bit.
- Add the turkey or sausage and brown them together with the veggies.
- Cook all this about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil, oregano, broth, tomato sauce, and tomatoes … stir to blend everything together.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve each bowl of soup with some whole wheat toast or rolls, and top each bowlful with cheese.
T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon