What You’ll Need:
For the spaghetti soup:
- 5 C chicken broth
- 2 C water
- 1 T minced garlic (we use the pre-minced kind in a jar)
- 4 T parsley (you can use chopped fresh parsley or dried parsley)
- 1/2 onion, chopped and divided (we use a medium-sized onion)
- 4 T prepared marinara sauce OR tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 – 8 oz. dry spaghetti (we break it up so it’s easier to handle)
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound of ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C breadcrumbs (we use pre-seasoned)
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 T basil (fresh or dried both work great)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Ask your parents to help turn on the stove and supervise your cooking.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, combine chicken broth, water, and tomato sauce (or marinara).
- Add 1/2 of the garlic, onion, and parsley that you have prepared.
- Let all the above start to simmer very slightly.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together well in a bowl.
- Roll into 1″ balls.
- Put the meatballs into the broth and cook them about four minutes on medium temperature. (Be careful when you put them in the pot so you don’t splash hot liquid onto yourself or others!)
- Add the pasta and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with some more Parmesan cheese and a little basil on top.
T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon