Lots of kids your age love the martial arts. And why not? You can get stronger and faster when you learn a martial art, and you can meet new friends.
Did you know?
There are hundreds of forms of martial arts. Here are a few:
- Karate (Japanese) – kicks and punches with fast action
- Jujitsu (Japanese) – competitive self-defense that also fosters cooperation because you often have a partner while learning
- Kung Fu (Chinese) – similar to karate, using very quick, smooth moves
- Tae Kwon Do (Korean) – kicks, punches, breathing, and meditation all work together
- Judo (Japanese) – usually a competitive sport using balance and leverage and teaching self-control and respect
- Aikido (Japanese) – similar to jujitsu but gentler and non-competitive
- T’ai Chi (Chinese) – focused on balance, stretching, and weight-bearing moves
All these martial arts are available right here in the Des Moines area. Maybe some of your school friends are already taking classes! Ask them what they’re learning and where they go for training!